WHEN DEATH STRIKES THE YOUNG,
our minds desperately struggle to comprehend and compartmentalize the facts. The torrent of thoughts looks something like this:
- That's not supposed to happen!
- Who is at fault?
- This should never happen again!
- How can we fill the void?
- How can we go on living?
Here are 5 things to consider writing in your condolence note:
- I am so very sorry.
- I feel so fortunate to have known (use name) because ________.
- You were an awesome mom/sister/grandma to (use name) because ________.
- If I had to pick a favorite memory of (use name) it would be when we _______.
- This must be one of the most difficult things you've ever faced, so be gentle with yourself.
The Compassionate Friends is a wonderful organization of peers supporting families who have lost a child (of any age.) International in scope, groups meet in towns and cities around the globe. The website is an excellent resource for gaining sensitivity on this loss.