Monday, March 23, 2020

Coping with Covid-19 Stress: Finding Pleasure and Peace in Slow

Jackrabbit on trail
Author image

While hiking under a gently warming Arizona sun last summer, I was on the verge of a panic attack. I was used to avoiding the occasional free ranging cattle and their plops. I was also used to scanning the surroundings for snakes. But, discovering that a resting, coiled snake may resemble a dry manure mound, was startling.

My usual panoply of sensory pleasures--wide sky, bird calls and blooms--with the addition of now-suspicious plops, became a Code Red cacophony. At my usual swift stride, I called back to my hiking buddy, “I’m feeling overwhelmed by everything I need to watch out for!” His simple reply changed my life: Why don’t you slow down?

Crisis Intervention

Slow down. This message permeates health and wellness media with calls to be mindful, focused, conscious, present, aware, tuned in, receptive, centered, grounded. Now, Covid-19 prevention is mandating us to slow down, too. During a crisis, the sense of vulnerability heightens and our tolerance for mental chaos may fluctuate. This is highly characteristic of the grief journeyIndividual thresholds for ‘chaos’ vary, like a strong radio signal that turns to static. If you’re feeling mental static, it’s time to turn off the “breaking news” and tune in to yourself. Slow down.

Cloud gazing
Author image
I utilize a variety of methods to get grounded. Is the setting day or night, sunny or cloudy, private or public? Develop some methods that empower you with choice and comfort. Simple “meditation” can be sitting with eyes closed and focusing on breath. Get on the floor or a yoga mat and stretch, roll, breathe. I also highly recommend cloud gazing (best done with formations, not full-sky gray.) Relax and watch them drift, change shape. Brief, light tapping on oneself (also known as the Emotional Freedom Technique,) may be calming and done anywhere, with subtlety. Can you step outside for a walk or play a soothing tune? If traveling, find the airport terminal art gallery before takeoff or, read a short, enjoyable text.

Blue Skipper on leaf
Photo used with permission
Jim Hunter, Fairbanks, AK

Savor the Slow

As a writer, I value words for many reasons; language is amazing! Does my sentence need a dandelion or dahlia? Most of us enjoy reading, but I have discovered the calming pleasure of reading word... by...word. Taking that brief text, prayer, proverb or affirmation, I read one word at a time. Try this: Savor that word! Let its shape and sound and nuance roll around in your mind like a peppermint on the tongue. Then, read the next word, and so on. I am usually a happy, limp noodle after only one sentence!

It is important to remember that slowing down is not just for Code Red situations. In The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle advises that a steady practice of being mindful during all daily activities will strengthen mindfulness during difficult moments. I hope you, too, can discover the pleasure and peace of ‘slow.’

Read other posts about mindfulness: 

Thank you for caring!

No comments: